HEALTH INSURANCE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
According to Law 6111, published on February 25, 2011, international students must be insured by the Social Security Institution of the Turkish Republic. This insurance is called General Health Insurance (GHI). International students must pay the determined “minimum premium amount,” throughout their education, on an annual basis.
How to receive health insurance:
- Find out your Foreign Identity Number: To learn your foreign identity number, please visit https://tckimlik.nvi.gov.tr/ and make an inquiry. If you cannot learn your foreign identity number through the inquiry form, please visit the Ankara Emniyet Müdürlüğü/Yabancılar Şube Müdürlüğü with your Residency Permit, to request your foreign ID number.
- Print out two copies of the above inquiry form (from the website) with your name, surname, and foreign identity number.
- Submit one copy to your departmental advisor at the Registrar’s Office (if you have already done this, there is no need to resubmit).
- Submit the second copy to the Medical Center/Accounts Unit (third floor). The Medical Center will add you to the Social Security Institution’s system.
- Annual payments can be made to banks on campus using your Foreign ID Number.